Friday, February 6, 2009

I Miss You...


Today is the one year anniversary of my dear Devo's death. I'm amazed it's already been a whole year since we had to say goodbye to him. I still feel the loss deeply. Being an animal lover, I've had many pets through the years, but none have captivated me like Devo.

He was the most amazing dog I've ever known. We bought him when he was 9 months old from a prominent show breeder. She actually cried when we took him, even though she had 25 dogs at the time. She knew he was special and that's why she had kept him so long. He was from a long line of champions that included a Best in Show at Westminster.

Devo was a gentleman in the truest of ways. He always waited for permission to jump on the bed or hop in the car. He would sing for us, forming his doggie lips into an "O" and woo woo wooing - it was a riot! He loved my Garlic Chicken and actually stole the entire chicken off my plate more than once... He had a stubborn streak, and would huff and puff if we did something he didn't approve of. He'd lay under covers until he was panting and pink all over. He was the perfect Alpha - gentle but firm. He kept the other dogs in order and accepted the rescues we brought in from time to time. But the single most thing I miss about him is that he was "connected" to me in a way I can't explain. He could sense when I was upset and wouldn't leave my side. He would try to nudge me and give me solace as if to say "I'm here, it'll be alright."

When we found out he had hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the blood vessels), I immediately drove through the night taking him to an oncology hospital to see what we could do. The news was devastating. His only chance of survival was if we removed his leg and part of his pelvis, and even then, he would probably only live six more months. I would have done anything to save him, but there wasn't anything anyone could do. He wasn't eating and he was in pain. I brought him home and found a vet who agreed to come to our home so that he would leave this world in a peaceful and familiar place. His favorite spot was to be next to me on the bed. I laid his favorite blanket down and laid him on top. I made him a big pan full of scrambled eggs and, even though he refused to eat anything for days, he gobbled them up - almost as if he knew this was the last pleasure he would enjoy. The vet arrived, and as we told him how much we loved him, he left us.

It was the single most difficult thing I've ever had to do.

I feel fortunate to have known such a wonderful, giving animal. I still have one of his nephews that lives with us and he reminds me of Devo in many ways, so I feel that I still have a part of him with me. There have been many times when I think I hear Devo barking or feel his presence. If you have a special pet, give them a hug and cherish them...they're only with us for a very short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Leave some love or just say hi...